Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gently Rolling Hills

Never believe the race brochure. I had the Langley Half Marathon on my schedule for pacing work. My goal was to run 1.38 on the nose at marathon pace. Little did I know it would be really hard.

The hills were not gentle, but they did roll. I had a lot of trouble finding a pace to hit my mile times. My pace ranged from 1:30 under to 3:00 under. Couldn't find it. I think I was over compensating for the up hills when I ran down hill too fast. Also, I was getting passed by people on the downhill which made me run a little harder on the up to catch them.

I kept my mantra "pace, keep your pace" to mile 12 then I decided to see how much I had left in the tank. Wound up finishing at 1.35. The final 100 was all downhill, very hard on the knees. Still had a lot left but I think I would have died three miles later in the hills.

I placed in the top 20 and won my age group.

Not bad, but I didn't hit my goal of 1.38. I have the Lacamas Lake 1/2 Marathon July 26th on the schedule. Hope to hit my goal then. Get out there!

Icing the knees. Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment