Wednesday, October 7, 2009

4 minutes shy of Boston

My goal is and has been running 26.2 miles in 3:20 or less. Last weekend at Portland Marathon, my goal was no different. I haven't sorted thru my running data yet, but I gave it a go, 100%.

I lined up with the 3:20 crowd paced by volunteers from the Red Lizard club. And I didn't really look at my watch until five miles in. We were 40 seconds up on pace. By 7 we were about 45 seconds up. I took a quick bio break and worked my way back to the group by mile 9. Feeling fine.

Every profile and course map misses at least one small grade or turn. At Portland, there's a slight uphill between mile 12 and 13. We flew up it. But I could feel it. Hit halfway at 1:38. On track. I was talking with another guy up the hill to mile 17. Mile 19 I was telling the pace lead I was getting anxious.

"Be patient. We'll pick it up down the hill."

Somewhere between 20 - 21 I lost contact with the group thru water stations. Made it back to them and once we hit the top of the downhill, the pace seemed to really pick up. Mile 23, 2:56 I had an outside shot. But I was having trouble picking them up and putting them down. Right hammy cramp at Mile 25. Wasted some time getting the knot out. Passed a handful of folks over the last mile. I was gassed. Nothing left once I hit the line.

While I was 4 minutes shy of Boston, I knocked off 24 minutes off my personal best marathon time. So I have confidence that my training plan is right on. Just need to get my legs healthly over the winter and get back out there for another go.

Portland's a great marathon for first timers and many timers. The city's awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment