Monday, April 27, 2009

Seeking consistency and quality


Here's a run chart depicting total miles over each week as I built up to the Yakima Marathon. The blue represents running miles, red cycling miles. I try to combine the two to reduce impact. I fell short of averaging 40 miles a week. Looking back, sickness, injury, work and family life had their impact. Being consistent was and is super tough. I could improve my consistency by becoming a monk or winning the lottery. Not likely. A less stressful option is to make 80% of my runs a quality, purposeful run. A run that will move me to the next level.

Measuring that's tough. The watch has been the time honored way to predict out comes. I can see that in the shorter distances like the mile, 5k or 10k. But so far, predictions to hit my marathon time haven't come true. Frustrating and thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment