Friday, May 1, 2009

Getting creative

Getting a run in, sometimes, is a challenge. I have to get creative to make it happen. Today, for example, I was downtown, interviewing and networking for work. I was laid off as part of the largest savings and loan failure in history. Anyway, I'm 45 miles from home base without a lockerroom or shower. And if I wait until I get home, my chances of getting a run in are slim to nil.

Just needed a place to change. Free WiFi would be nice as well. Hello, Public Library. The Men's room has a large and private baby changing room that I could slip in and change without making a scene.

Had a great 55 minute, hilly run in 70 degree weather. Returned to the library which is air conditioned. Did the French bath, changed and I'm back at the job hunt with free WiFi.

Other ways I've managed runs into my schedule
- run to and from work or the bus stop
- run at 11pm at night (not my favorite)
- have my wife drop me off 10 miles before our destination so I can run in. Usually on the weekends when we travel to the family cabin
- get up before the chickens do and run
- visit family members and have them watch my 5 year old while I run. Use it if it works!
- run while mowing the lawn or shopping of groceries
- run around the soccer fields while the kids are playing
- run to town for groceries or that hardware part instead of driving

Getting creative can bring some fun into the run which isn't a bad thing at all.

1 comment:

  1. hey ben,

    it's matt, andy's buddy from the resolution 20K. i like the idea of running while mowing. throw's a little danger into the mix. lose a toe, lose some seconds off that time...

    ReplyDelete